return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Indoor cement pond, anyone ever make one

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ]

Posted by: Matt-D at Tue Jan 13 11:34:59 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt-D ]  

I'm looking for advice/tips on making a concrete pond for my caiman enclosure. The enclosure is already constructed and the pond I had initially installed (out of plywood/epoxy) leaked from day one so I was foreced to use a liner until the upcoming spring/summer when I can move the caimans outside and I'll try my hand at cementing the pond. The whole area measures roughly 6X6X1.5 and is framed well enough to handle the weight/pressure of the concrte itself as well as the water. From what I understand, mixing and applying the concrete itself isn't too difficult of a task, I'm just looking for suggestions as to which brand to purchase (I'll be buying materials from home depot), how much sand/gravel to mix in, if at all, should I line the walls with the reinforcing mesh? The pond won't be exposed to any extreme weather and the bottom, underneath the wood, is insulated (I'm in Ontario, so the winters get fairly cold). I also plan to paint the pond with epoxy for looks, seal the cement and hopefully make it slightly more smooth so the caimans don't scrape their feet. The front of the enclosure also has a sheet of glass for viewing that extends a few inches below the surface of the water, so my concrete would come to the top of the glass and I would silicone it to ensure it did not leak(another use for the epoxy). Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty handy when it comes to workign with wood and wiring but have very little experience with masonry.

Matt

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  pond water - tbone21, Tue Jan 13 15:55:56 2009
<< Previous topic:  gators - varanid, Sun Jan 11 11:15:43 2009