return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Indoor cement pond, anyone ever make

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ]

Posted by: kachunga at Fri Jan 23 11:23:46 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kachunga ]  

I see. I read in the OP that you have some construction experience. So this is what I would do:
Make a form out of melamine coated particleboard and pour your 6'X6'X1.5' enclosure about 1" deep. Then reinforce with expanded metal lathe and put another 1' of concrete on top of the metal lathe. I would use "Concrete Counter Mix" but I would imagine any bagged concrete will work. The reason I like the counter mix is because its white and you can polish it to a smooth surface. f you are not sure what consistency to make the cement, you dont want it soupy, but more like soft clay. Use a 2'X4' and "walk" it across your form to make sure everything is level. You can also run a orbital sander (in a bag to keep the soft concrete off of it) along the outside of the form to remove the bubbles that sometimes show in dried concrete.
About 30 minutes after the concrete loses its sheen, hand trowel. then wait another 1/2 hour and trowel again. You can get your surface glass smooth depending on how many times you trowel and wait. Any rough spots can be sanded with 220 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper.
When everything is dry and the way you want it, personally I would stain and seal the new concrete. Staining is optional, but you can do some real awesome colors with a eco friendly stains. The sealer is mandatory and will prevent any leaks. The sealer is a 2 part epoxy.
You can get the sealer at surecretedesign.com.
Good luck

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  pond water - tbone21, Tue Jan 13 15:55:56 2009
<< Previous topic:  gators - varanid, Sun Jan 11 11:15:43 2009