return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Paleosuchus trigonatus photos

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ]

Posted by: Danny Conner at Sat Jan 17 17:35:19 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Danny Conner ]  

Well Matt that is a little bit of a mystery.
When I first started traveling in the summers about nine years ago, I didn't realize the best person to watch my "at home"collection was my wife.
So I had a young friend,very strong and handy, and an older friend, about my age, I felt that the 2 of them together should be able to handle the crocs. My rabbit breeder takes care of the snakes and he always has help. He is an animal person and also very powerful but like the other 2 friends he is NOT a reptile guy. But being an animal person he was very good about shutting doors and checking and rechecking latches. The only problem the rabbit breeder has had is leaving an animal in a cage with a pissed off python that is not going to eat. This is not the end of the world as my wife would always check after he left to see if all the cages were closed. She would see the rabbit and retreive it later once the snake had calmed down. The downside to this is she is a vegetarian so karma...blah blah...
We would have a PET rabbit and God help anyone who tried to refeed that rabbit.
But the croc boys were not animal people and somehow the trig got loose. Which was okay his enclosure was in a building so he was fairly easy to find. However it was some days before he was actually captured. My wife would spray him down everyday it was hot(TX in August) but I'm sure this pissed him off(stressed him out).
They finally did recapture him. But then he wouldn't eat. He was eating a large rat once a week so he didn't have to eat. But he had some serious nose rub from his escape.
All I know is when I finally got home even though he still had his weight he did not look like the same croc. By now it is late Oct. and even in TX the crocs are slowing down. He made it through winter I thought he would get back to eating instead I found him dead one day in the middle of March. Upsetting for a couple of reasons. Always felt like I didn't do quite right by him. I had a large enclosure 2 waters indoor and outdoor land. I had 2 trigs and 3 palps and one dwarf croc. They all got along. He upset the balance so he had to stay by himself in a smaller somewhat less nice enclosure.
Dude over the years I have been tempted to use gloves but I never do. I want every ounce of grip I can muster when I'm trying to hang on to a croc.
I know you don't know every croc guy in Canada but years ago I met a guy on this forum. He had a dwarf croc and I think a Cuban.
BUT he had a friend that had a pair of Orinocos. Do you know either guy?
I have one trig(female 3 foot) and one dwarf croc(female 2.5 feet). Good Luck. Nice animals and enclosures.
Danny

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Paleosuchus trigonatus photos - Matt-D, Sat Jan 17 18:02:55 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Paleosuchus trigonatus photos - Matt-D, Fri Jan 16 18:54:58 2009