return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Striking the balance

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ]

Posted by: varanid at Wed Feb 4 12:29:11 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by varanid ]  

2. Creating a clean reasonably easy to maintain and safe to handle the croc environment (no dead areas in water for detritus to build up, safety in handling the croc, ease of water changes or general cleaning)

Just thought this discussion might be a little more stimulating than the usual posts...

Mr. F

Not a croc expert, but in general I don't see as much competetion between the two directives as some do. You just have to comprimise the aesthetics of the situation some time. For instance, my larger snakes and lizards get PVC pipe instead of cork or other prettier hides--they're easier to clean, they're certainly secure feeling, and they're available in really really large sizes (5" diameter holds a BIG snake!). Instead of natural branches I use lumber or other building materials to make things for them to climb on.

I try to find a way to allow them to do thier natural behavior w/out comprimising my ability to clean them or care for them. It isn't always pretty--no one could accuse a cage with PVC sections of piping of beig natural or aesthetically filling--but my animal doesn't give a damn. It can hide, thermoregulate, drink, climb and explore. And I can clean my cage without too much problem. Now, I've not worked with crocs, but that's how I approach snakes and lizards and turtles

I love natural looking cages, but they're not always the best for the animal, if they become too hard to maintain. Look at letting the animal fufill it's needs,a nd try to approach it without preconceptions.

[ Hide Replies ]

• Striking the balance - mrfisher, Wed Jan 28 10:59:22 2009
    • You Are HereRE: Striking the balance - varanid, Wed Feb 4 12:29:11 2009

>> Next topic:  Post for Matt-D - tbone21, Thu Jan 29 09:24:26 2009
<< Previous topic:  New Alligator - stxlatina, Sun Jan 25 18:05:37 2009