return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Several things...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Morelia Pythons ]

Posted by: DavidKendrick at Mon Feb 2 10:39:56 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DavidKendrick ]  

"Hey ya'll. I am getting either a Jungle or Irian Jaya carpet and I have all the caging stuff planned out except lighting. i have to have a light because my room is in the basement, so should I use an incandescent bulb or a ceramic bulb with a flourescent bulb? How do you control the temperature with incandescent and ceramic bulbs? I can't afford a thermostat. Thanks for your help."

Well here is what I get from your post, and my thoughts....

With a flourescent bulb, you can control the temps by what wattage the bulb is, depending on how large your enclosure is, you can change the temps by changing the watts of the bulb, meaning a 100w bulb will be hotter than say a 25w bulb, that is one way to control the temps. And again, it all depends on how large of an enclosure you are trying to heat up. Using a Dome inccandescent bulb is a widely used way to heat reptile enclosures, while there might be better options now, its something that will work.

The Ceramic heat emitters are also pretty good, but they usually come in larger wattages, several downsides, limited sizes/wattages, and they really should be used with a thermostat...as they turn on and just get hot...they also do not emit any light, so if your room is dark all the time, I would recomend having a flourescent light in additon to the ceramic heat emitter.

I know its hard being young, and having little to no money for everything, and it can be pretty overwelming, but just a freindly word of advice....the better prepaired you are the easier and more fun your expereince with carpets is going to be.

I think of it like fish tanks, not sure if you have ever had any of those, but its so hard to set up a fish tank and not be able to put a bunch of fish into it right away...there is a schedule, or procedure you have to do, but after patience and time have gone by, and you have followed and done what you need to do, in the end the results are pure pleasure. I know you want to set up an enclosure with the goal of getting a Carpet Python, I would just say...be patient...get what you need caging wise, and get a really nice setup built, that should also show your parents that you really care about this, and that your not just wanting a quick carpet python fix...most parents who watch thier kids research, and learn about something they are pasionate about, tend to want to help out a little more....I would also advise buying a carpet from a breeder...one that is well started, that can answer all your questions. Take the time to find one you like...rather than just buying one cause its cheap from a reseller. Often times, at least in my case, I would happily hook a young budding herpetoculturist up with on of my offspring if they could show me they truely where interested, had done the research, and had the proper setup...I would hook them up...it never hurts to let the breeder know your situation...

Best of luck...and remember...the more time/money you spend on the proper setup the better your expereince with Carpets will be...I don't mean you have to get the best of the best...just don't skimp on things like heating...its just a reciepe for heartache...

Take Care
David
-----
Executive Reptiles
Amanda Kingsbury & David Kendrick
www.executivereptiles.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  spinal osteopathy - reptileguy99, Sat Jan 31 18:42:45 2009
<< Previous topic:  heat for bredls - squidlyjoe, Fri Jan 30 08:40:48 2009