return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

This is what I emailed them.......

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: rainbowsrus at Wed Feb 4 21:35:37 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rainbowsrus ]  

My response.....

Dear Representative,

I oppose HR669. This Bill is not based in science, but in the ideology of powerful special interest groups. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that banning the import, sale and trade of any of these animals will have any positive effect on the economy, environment, or human or animal species health.
In fact, if passed it would destroy many families and businesses. It would have a decidedly negative impact on an already ailing economy by destroying a vital and growing industry at a time when our country is in need of jobs and growth. The USFWS has just made changes to the CITES export permit process which would allow quality captive bred animals to be more easily exported to international customers. Passing HR669 would negate all the work USFWS has done for over a year. This Bill is a disaster to American small business and families in a time of economic hardship.

Currently I am more of a hobby level breeder but have invested many thousands of dollars into my collection of Boa Constrictor Imperator (BCI) and Epicrates Chenchria Chenchria (Brazilian Rainbow Boa BRB) with my ultimate goal of this hobby becoming my sole source of income. Last year was my first year where I brought in more than I spent and this year is promising to be close to replacing my salary from my “day job”. Being 48 years old, this is my retirement plan. Passing of HR669 would hit me twofold. Firstly, all my animals would go from a value in excess of $100K to worthless. Secondly, my planned income from this investment would be gone. In actuality it would go negative because what would I do with the animals, caging etc. I already have? I would not be able to sell them, Very likely I would not be able to even give them away. I would likely have to pay to have most of the animals put down. Add to that disposal fees for all my caging. My animals are not a threat to anyone, they are all in secure caging, well cared for and obviously doing well as they are reproducing for me.

I am only one small, insignificant cog in this industry. One of many, many individual breeders. In addition there are many businesses supporting this industry, caging, thermostats, heating elements, handling equipment, rodent breeders. veterinary offices. shipping companies, pet stores, shipping supplies, bedding etc. All of which would lose business with this bill, many to the point of folding up and closing. Is this the kind of bill we need right now? Or at any time for that matter?

Please do not pass HR669.

Thank you,
David Colling
-----
Thanks,

Dave Colling

www.rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

0.1 Wife (WC and still very fiesty)
0.2 kids (CBB, a big part of our selective breeding program)

LOL, to many snakes to list, last count:
26.49 BRB
20.21 BCI
And those are only the breeders

lots.lots.lots feeder mice and rats

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Dave you should be the model.... - Joel_Thomas, Wed Feb 4 22:10:35 2009

<< Previous Message:  Dave, spread the word!!! - Joel_Thomas, Wed Feb 4 20:59:19 2009