return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: my project

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: Chris_Harper2 at Mon Feb 16 10:27:34 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chris_Harper2 ]  

i have considered everything from lining the entire inside with vinyl flooring or laminate, to sanding it all out and using urethane or or epoxy, or simply just painting it with a 100% acrylic, or a nice wallpaper under some type of clearcoat...

First let me say that I have always liked the looks of a nice furniture quality corner cage/terrarium so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Second, I would probably not use any sort of oil-based urethane on this thing, either inside or out. In particular avoid spar urethanes. I think I mentioned earlier that Spar urethanes are formulated to be flexible and UV resistant, both of which make them less water resistant when used in an interior application.

Given how versatile you want this enclosure to be and that the back does not have panels of any sort I would probably use some sort of plastic liner or laminate. If the inside was all veneered plywood and you wanted to keep the wood grain look then I would suggest clear epoxy or clear polyurea (Repti-Shield).

I like the idea of using black PVCX or counter-top laminate. I really like the appearance of black PVCX and think it would contrast really well with plain (i.e. un-stained) oak. I think it has the perfect semi-matte finish. Some of the newer black laminates are also very nice as are some of the faux granite laminates.

What are you going to do with the outside? Personally I would not stain it and would probably use two coats of de-waxed shellac followed by two coats or more of waterborne polyurethane.

I would avoid oil-based polyurethanes for this project, even on the outside. If you want to use an oil-based project due to its durability and the slight amber color than I would use a non-polyurethane varnish.
-----
Currently keeping:

6.10 Gonyosoma oxycephalum (Javan, mixed colors)

0.0.4 Rhynchophis boulengeri

1.1 Philodryas baroni

1.1 Lampropeltis triangulum multistriata

0.0.1 Rhamphiophis rubropunctatus

0.0.2 Morelia viridis (Aru & Merauke locale types)

1.0 Rhodesian Ridgeback

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my project - saagbay, Mon Feb 16 12:33:27 2009
>> Next Message:  laminates - saagbay, Mon Feb 16 14:42:17 2009

<< Previous Message:  my project - saagbay, Sun Feb 15 17:46:19 2009