return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Iguana cage idea?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: dodgedakota09 at Sat Feb 21 09:42:59 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dodgedakota09 ]  

For the tree, I basically drew out and idea of what shape I wanted and the diameter. For my ig, i have a 1 year old male and built a cage he can grow in to, so I used all 4" pvc. Home Depot or Lowes should have all that you need including the pvc glue and the caps for the ends. I used a toilet bowl floor mount to mount the tree to the floor. Construction of the tree is pretty straight forward. Measure out the legnth of the limbs and the height of the tree (don't forget that you need about 1.5" to 2" for the joints to fit together) and cut. I used a table saw, if you had extra hands you might be able to pull it off with a saws-all or jig. Once cut just piece together, I mounted it to two 2x4's just to let it dry outside the cage. Then sprayed with plastic flat black paint. For the straight edges I cut to fit astro-turf (also from lowes) and used 14" zip-ties to attach, that way if needed to replace its easy. good luck,

For the lights I don't have a good picture of the setup, and I go to school about 2hrs away from home so won't have one for atleast another week or two. But I used two 100watt heat lamps about a foot and a half off the top of the two basking shelves. One 24" UVB bulb, mounted at the top the same height away from the shelves and one night light for viewing at night (no practical use just visual). I didn't put the heat lamps in the cage per say i cut a hole in the roof and lined with mesh so that he can't climb on them and burn himself. I have to thermometers in the cage and they read about 90 on the shelves and 75-80 on the floor (this varies with the season). Here are all the pics of the process of building the cage, sorry its a lot but hopefully it sparks some ideas. good luck.

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo250/xxBellxx09/Iguana Cage/?albumview=grid

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  corn in a sterilite - blackmamba1, Fri Feb 20 09:26:20 2009
<< Previous topic:  Repti-Shield part #2 - Bighurt, Thu Feb 19 07:49:50 2009