return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: A lot depends.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: gaboonx at Thu Feb 26 17:35:01 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gaboonx ]  

>>First and foremost cost reducer is insulation. I am fortunate that the house I bought has one downstairs bedroom designed as a inlaws or guest quarters. The original buyer opted for the "privacy" option which was to add insulation to the interior walls to deaden any noise. Great for me as that added insulation holds the heat in better. That bedroom houses my rainbow boa collection. I do not heat that room since all the individual cage heaters warm the room to a nice 70 - 75 degrees. The adult BRB enclosures need a hot end of 82 max so works perfectly as is.
>>
>>
>>I built a second room in my garage to house my BCI collection. Insulated it very well based on my experience with the BRB room. Of course BCI need a higher temp so I ended up using a oil filled electric heater to maintain room temps so the individual cages were not working so hard.
>>
>>
>>IMO the room ambient temps should be 5 - 10 degrees lower than the cool end of the cages. This seems to work great for me and allows for a good thermal gradient in the cage.
>>
>>
>>Of course each individual collection and house will have different requirements but a dedicated herp room is great for your animals. Allows us to provide a environment closer to optimal. One problem I can see is having a large variety of species with very different needs in the same room. The room itself needs to be controlled to the lowest temp and lowest humidity species (not necessarily the same one) with caging that can make up for species with higher requirements.
>>-----
>>Thanks,
>>
>>
>>Dave Colling
>>
>>www.rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com
>>
>>
>>
>>0.1 Wife (WC and still very fiesty)
>>0.2 kids (CBB, a big part of our selective breeding program)
>>
>>LOL, to many snakes to list, last count:
>>26.49 BRB
>>20.21 BCI
>>And those are only the breeders
>>
>>lots.lots.lots feeder mice and rats

Yes insulation is definitely key and hopefully money whiling I will be able to create the perfect environment. It will house 7 different species with temp and humidity requirements from the low 70s to the high 80s. That makes it fairly easy as I will heat the room to about 70 degrees.

As you can see from the pictures I will need to rip up the flooring to see what lies beneath. Put a layer of double sided bubble foil, a layer of whatever else I can get in there and maybe some particle board instead of the planks. Its a perfect room but has some major draw backs one being the stairs are literally 2" wide and turn into 8" wide steps very hard for my 18"s to get up and down. So this would need to be fixed, temps the baseboard heater doesn't work. Heating and cooling, electric and lighting would all be issues. But its a large room 19'x12' plenty of room to expand.

-----
Jason A.
"Long time Herper, first year Breeder `07."
My 2008 Care Sheet & The BRB Stats. Username: brb@kingsnake.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A lot depends..... - jpk4, Thu Feb 26 17:55:04 2009

<< Previous Message:  A lot depends..... - rainbowsrus, Thu Feb 26 15:34:15 2009