return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Law Center & Forum ]

Posted by: sschind at Thu Apr 2 10:21:30 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sschind ]  

Jeff,

I agree with you that this is a serious issue but I think you are a little bit off on your assessment of the bill. The bill itself, if passed, would not automatically ban anything as you suggest. It would create a committee (read that a another screwed up government bureaucracy) to assess each species currently being imported. No doubt some would get banned but it is my opinion that the majority would not. Not even the idiots in Washington would be stupid enough to pass a bill as all encompassing as one like you suggested.

That is not to say that we shouldn't be concerned. We should, and everyone should contact his/her representative and those involved in the committee hearing and express their concerns. I am not suggesting that this is in any way OK because the majority of things will not be banned. The banning of anything based on the evidence they may use is most certainly not OK But to suggest that the passage of the bill would ban everything except what is on the list I think is off the mark.

Of course, it is not beyond our opposition to use scare tactics to elicit reaction so I guess if this gets people off their behinds and gets them to write letters and emails it might be a good thing. On the other hand, If these representatives start getting all kinds of letters chastising the bill based on erroneous information will that have the effect we want?

One last thing, The list provided does not suggest that these would be the only animals allowed. It says that these animals are not considered nonnative wildlife species and as such would not be up for assessment. At least that's my interpretation.

Steve Schindler

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN - sschind, Thu Apr 2 10:30:21 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN - wstreps, Thu Apr 2 17:05:56 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN - runswithturtles, Sat Apr 4 14:44:47 2009

<< Previous Message:  FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN - jeffb, Tue Mar 31 18:34:09 2009