return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Law Center & Forum ]

Posted by: sschind at Thu Apr 2 14:17:09 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sschind ]  

I guess we have a difference of opinion. I think that the vast majority of animals initially will be placed on the proposed preliminary approved species list which, according to my interpretation, would place no prohibitions on them. I don't see anywhere where it says all importation will stop until species can be assessed. There is a section that deals with emergency action but I don't think many animals will fall under that category. I could see large pythons, crocodilians and monitors being placed on that list but since we are dealing with a species specific law I don't think ball pythons will be included. Nor will hamsters and bearded dragons.

I may be wrong but you seem to be interpreting it as though all animals will be initially prohibited and only after time will certain ones be put on the approved list. I just don't see it that way.

It would appear however, that we are both arguing on the same side of a poorly designed bill. I agree with you 100% that this is not a good thing. My biggest issue is with giving them a "blank check" if you will. Give them the power now to determine what will and will not be allowed , and let them make the determination later, after its too late. IF and this is a big IF something like this should be considered, the lists should be determined BEFORE the bill is up for consideration. Let them do the work to make up the lists first and then let them try to get the bill passed. They won't do it because they know that if they are too strict and include too many animals the outcry will be too great and the bill won't pass.

My personal opinion is that this bill is too broad and tries to accomplish too much to pass in its current form. That is not to say that it will go away. It's just that there are too many industries that stand too lose to much with this. Especially if you are correct in your interpretation and trade would stop until species could get approval. As I said before, there is not a politician in the world that vote for a bill that would put 10s of thousands (perhaps more) people out of work in this economy. That's exactly what this bill would do if passed and it operated the way you think it does. That is one reason why I don't think it does.

Arguing aside people, it is time to step up and be heard. Contact the people on the lists provided in the links and let them know just how foolhardy this bill really is. I think we can all agree on that.

Steve Schindler

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN - jeffb, Thu Apr 2 15:42:21 2009
>> Next Message:  It's simple - brhaco, Thu Apr 2 18:35:01 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: FED HEARING APRIL 23 ON NONNATIVE BAN - jeffb, Thu Apr 2 11:28:39 2009