return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Finicky Great Basin Gopher snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ]

Posted by: SnakeyLakey at Wed Apr 15 20:59:10 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SnakeyLakey ]  

In the state of Oregon it is a FELONY offense for a single household to possess an aggregate total of ten or more animals, without a very expensive permit as an animal shelter.

My, senior citizen, mother has her spayed cat; and I have my Gopher snake and my Garter snake. That is three animals to start with.

As soon as one rat has a litter, the number of pups in that litter immediately puts me over the limit; unless she should have an exceptionally small litter. The fact that the rats are to produce snake food is totally irrelevant. Frozen rodents are simply considered dead animals, and are proof positive that the FELONY CRIME of animal hoarding has been committed. The fact that they are snake food is completely irrelevant.

Animal hoarding carries the mandatory penalties of: long jail time; and high fines; and community service hours; and worst of all, never being allowed to own, or have contact with any animals whatsoever for the rest of that persons life. If a convicted animal hoarder, so much as pets someone else's dog then they must serve further jail time. I think that these penaties are overly severe, but that's just the way that it is in Oregon.

Last year, I was told that I had to get rid of ALL of my live rats, and frozen rodents; or be charged with animal hoarding. Therefore, my Great Basin Gopher snake did not get enough to eat last year, and is hungry this year.

If I am going to feed rodents, I must breed my own, because the nearest pet store is over 130 miles away, one way; but breeding my own automatically puts me over the maximum number of animals that I can legally possess. If I were to buy frozen rodents online, which I doubt that my extremely finicky Gopher snake would even eat, they would just be considered more dead animals and also put me over the maximum number of animals allowed.

Therefore, since I do NOT want my snake to starve, I must find an alternative food source, that is not illegal.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Finicky Great Basin Gopher snake - Cheesemonkey, Sat Apr 18 08:11:53 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Los Angeles County Great Basin - Cheesemonkey, Wed Apr 15 07:43:39 2009