return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Live Feeders

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ]

Posted by: Jeremy Pierce at Wed Apr 29 19:10:28 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jeremy Pierce ]  

I'll try here too. I love the thought of feeding feeder animals higher quality foods and a good variety. With that said I don't like feeding live prey to a snake. Years ago in 93 I imported a pair of blood pythons. These were evil animals that didn't want to look at anything but live prey. I felt I was lucky and just happy to have a wild caught pair eating live rats right away. So I left it at that. The male was around 4 feet long. One night in feeding, he came flying out of his water tub and grabbed the rat no differently than he had 4 or 5 times before. The only difference this time is that while he was constricting the rat (unfortunately I didn't watch the process), the rat chewed a nickel sized hole in the snakes neck, thru the muscle and into vertebrae. The snake continued to constrict and then swallowed the rat but sustained some major damage. From that day on I do not feed live animals unless absolutely necessary and if I do have to feed live I don't leave the snake unattended. Hope that helps. All it takes is one time and you may not have a live snake to come back to.

Jeremy
-----
Jeremy Pierce
Shade Tree Exotics
shade-tree-exotics@att.net

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Live Feeders - Pine_Snake_Piney, Thu Apr 30 06:19:33 2009

<< Previous Message:  Live Feeders - Pine_Snake_Piney, Mon Apr 27 03:56:34 2009