return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: California bill proposal

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ]

Posted by: natsamjosh at Tue May 5 14:30:24 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by natsamjosh ]  

Hi Julie,

I agree with you, looks like the sponsors just made it generic to include all animals even though the original intent was to
address puppy mills.

What is confusing is the USARK email. As paranoid as I am, I
don't see the bill preventing all reptile shows and "face-to-face" transactions. Maybe they have inside information.

I also agree with you about working with dog/cat owners, but I'll take you one step further. We need to work on ALL citizens, even those who don't have pets or who don't like snakes. Even my wife, who pretty much hates snakes, thinks these proposed laws are unjust and ridiculous. Bad law is bad for everyone.

Thanks,
Ed

>>I think this is yet another attempt to control a small problem with a vague, open-ended proposal. My assumption is that the people of CA would like to put a stop to cardboard boxes of puppy mill puppies at flea markets, pet store parking lots, etc. I'm behind that, but the lack of specifics makes this bill also put a stop to franchise store sponsored pet adoptions that we all have seen in front of pet stores. Are those my favorite way to find adoptive homes? Absolutely not. Do some decent adoptions happen at these satellite shelters? You bet they do. I'm not thinking that reptile shows are even a consideration in this bill, but a side-effect casualty of poor wording and open ended legislation.
>>
>>When we take on these fights, those of us who love the scaley critters are going to need to find a more PR-friendly partner to fight with. As much as it sucks, reptile people are not going to get the same sort of audience that dog and cat people do. Whenever we can, we need to alert the more warm & fuzzy groups to protest. In this case, I think working with dog and cat rescue groups in CA would be the best option along with corporate entity PetSmart since they draw a lot of foot traffic with their Saturday adoption days.
>>-----
>>Julie
>>www./gfx

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: California bill proposal - gfx, Tue May 5 14:56:28 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: California bill proposal - gfx, Tue May 5 14:14:51 2009