return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Ed, I read...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ]

Posted by: paulbuck at Sat May 9 07:34:54 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by paulbuck ]  

"I'm surprised you don't understand the backlash effect and why normal people would criticize..."

Hi Tom,
Why would you think I don't understand this? I would have to be an idiot to not see the backlash and criticism. I'm trying to stem some of the criticism and let people know that alot, if not most, of the government scientist out there are competent, ethical, scientists . I know this to be true in my agency (I work for water resources division of the USGS). If your confused as to why I object to generalizing government scientists as "junk scientist" it is because it paints all of us in government science as dishonest crackpots. I'm surprised you don't understand my dismay when I read these generalizations. I know there is bad science out there. All I ask is that don't lump all of us as crackpots. If I stated that this hobby is in trouble because of the unethical 'big breeders' selling retics and burms to 12 year old boys at the expos and kept over and over again saying the same thing (I'm making a point here, I don't think this) about 'big breeders', I'm betting you'd take offense and want to clarify that not all big breeders are unethical. I'd hope this would be obvious as to my intent. If your confused on this then it is my fault for communicating poorly.
A side note about my above example regarding the selling of big snakes to young kids. This is a problem. I was at our show here in Sacramento and watched a harried mother purchase two baby Reticulated pythons for her sons. I watched as first it was one for the oldest boy, maybe 12, then a second for the screaming and crying 8 yr old or so son who had to have one also. The vendor (big, big name, all over these forums) representative just stood there with a grin waiting for the 90 dollars (I think this was the cost for two, it may have been less). Anyone who doesn't think this plays out at every show across the country is fooling themselves. Something needs to be done to address this.
Thanks for reading,
Paul

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Ed, I read... - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Sat May 9 09:24:13 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Ed, I read... - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Sat May 9 00:36:06 2009