return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Alligator . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Sept 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Sept 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Sept 17, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: How many forms of hypo??

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ]

Posted by: jcherry at Tue May 19 15:59:15 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jcherry ]  

As you know KJ, You and I have had this conversation before.

Trade names as versus actual proven genetic traits. I hate tyhem being used as much as I know you do, but unfortunately people insist on using the terms such as hypo etc pretty loosely.

I would suggest to you that there are a number of light colored, reduced black pigment lines of bulls out there in the market place. Such as the Yellow Bulls we have color bred for so many years. Are these bright yellow nearly lacking all black genetic hypos? In my opinion they are not. But merely strains and/or locales of animals that have developed lighter coloration for any one of a number of reasons.

From the standpoint of genetics these animals do not react as you would genetically expect a hypo to as we find in corns etc.

Also as you know we are working with the hypo’s that periodically appear in the Trumbower line of bulls when he was looking to produce the first “Snow Bull” (Whiteside Albino). These animals appear to be acting the way genetic hypos should, but it will take a couple more years to prove it out.

I wish there was some way we could turn back the hands of time and call things what they are as versus trade names and use the terms hypo, snow etc. etc. to specifically to refer to genetically specific animals. But alas I afraid the genie is already out of the bag and will not go back in.

Attached is a clutch picture of trumbower bulls, the trumbower hypo and the resultant neonate from that hypo being bred to a normal bull.

Cherryville Farms

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  southern and northern pines - sdmf31, Fri May 15 00:12:10 2009
<< Previous topic:  phil peak.... - roadrunnerd, Wed May 13 20:52:49 2009