return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sunday was even crazier!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ]

Posted by: natsamjosh at Tue May 19 06:41:22 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by natsamjosh ]  

Good job Dave saving those snakes. I hate seeing flattened dead/dying snakes on the roads.

Sunday (the day after we found the rat snake) was wild. I starting laying sod at about 10:00 AM, in the rain. After laying a few pieces and quickly getting coated with mud, my son (the same one who found the rat snake) comes running out of the house, screaming for me. "Dad, Mom needs you to go to the clinic, there's a snake in the office." (The receptionist called my wife, who is out of town, and told her to call me.) Great. So I jump in the truck with some gloves and a large cooler in which to put the snake, looking (and probably smelling) like a barnyard pig, and start driving to the urgent care. Within a few minutes the sky opens up, and it's pouring out. I then see something ahead of me on the road, and it's a box turtle. So I skid to a stop, get the turtle off the road and put him in the back of my truck. Then I continue on to the clinic. When I got there, the staff was in a panic. I didn't really want to make a scene in from of waiting patients, so as inconspicuously as I could being covered in mud and funk, I walked in and asked the receptionist, "Where is it." I was thinking it would be outside, but she said it was in one of the back rooms. That seemed kind of odd. So I walk back to the room, and the PA and receptionist are near hysterical. I see nothing. "Where is it?", I said. They said, right there. I still see nothing. I asked again, "Where?" One of them says, "Right there, next to that piece of lint." Finally, I see it. It's a ground skink, half the girth of my pinky and not much longer than it. It blended in well with the dark floor. It was so small I had a hard time even grabbing it off the floor. Great. So I throw this miniscule skink in a 25 qt. cooler so I can show my son what the "emergency" was all about. On the way home, I see a snapping turtle crossing the road. So I skid to a stop again, and throw it in the back of the truck. So I get home, and I have two turtles and a microscopic skink in a big cooler, all in the back of my truck. What a wild 1/2 hour that was!

Here is the dangerous "snake" that was in the office...

The snapping turtle...

Box turtle...

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sunday was even crazier! - rainbowsrus, Tue May 19 10:29:20 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Sunday was even crazier! - waspinator421, Tue May 19 18:15:59 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: OT: Suburban herping - rainbowsrus, Mon May 18 10:01:55 2009