return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Different Strokes for Different Snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ]

Posted by: concolor1 at Tue Jun 2 01:40:06 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by concolor1 ]  

I caught a Great Basin Gopher last week myself (and like you, most of my experiences with them were way back in the last century).

He immediately went into "Rattlesnake Impersonation Mode," and while I was congratulating myself (this was the first place I looked), he acted pretty fearsome. I wish now I'd taken a photo but I elected to bag him while I decided what to do with him (at least my preliminary judgment was it was a male).

I took a walk down the hill looking for others and finally decided the nine snakes (and 18 corn snake eggs) I have right now are adequate, so I returned to the discarded carpet remnant he'd been hiding under and released him.

At this point I decided on a few photos, but it was apparently clear to him by then that I wasn't buying any bluffs, and he was all for getting out of Dodge. I managed a few shots, but nothing as dramatic as I would have been able to get earlier.

Right now I own two gopher snakes, one a W/C adolescent and the other a yearling C/B, as well as a three-year old "Texas Bull." The bull's attitude is clearly the most cantankerous, and she actually nailed me last week (I'd forgotten to wash after feeding some frozen mice to another snake); the two gophers are milquetoasts.

For the most part, what I remember of the gopher snakes from 40 years ago was they all pretty much tamed down easily with one or two exceptions. Of course the other snakes I readily brought home were usually western racers, and these were almost always nippy in comparison.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Caught a gopher snake yesterday - nagrag, Mon Jun 1 23:22:02 2009