return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Nov 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: 09 Black Heads are well on their way...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ]

Posted by: derekroddy at Wed Jul 8 10:16:15 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by derekroddy ]  

Haha Tom...I'm crazy about those Boas too.....just need you to come off a pair or 2! LoL.
And.... some Red Dominicans while you're at it.

Jaykis....I do realize how many there are out there. I personally know at least 60 keepers with BHPs in the states. That a big number for this species. Anytime someone post one for sale or just a picture to look at....I mail and talk to the people. And, can you imagine the amount of BHP people contact me?
I'm sure there are guys out there that I don't know about......but, I can tell you this....there are not many.
I even know the history of your animals Jaykis. Haha.
(And, Tom Crutchfield Doesn't work with them)

And, while there maybe a lot of pairs out there...doesn't mean the keepers will have luck breeding or hatching them.
In fact, I see it all the time..... Out of all the people I know with BHPs...only about 15% of them actually have repeated success with them.
And, by repeated....I don't mean they breed once...or for 2 or 3 seasons....and then they never breed again. This has happened to a lot of keepers I know.....including some of the "big" breeders from years ago.
This is what will keep them solid for many years.

Of course, you always have people who need to sell their animals because of this or that........But, it doesn't mean that the people who have them available consistantly... will follow suit.
"Cheap" BHP are very few and far between............and you always get what you pay for.

That said....the biggest production of BHPs was 10 -15 years ago when Lazik, Lewis, Robson, Price, Goergan and Retes was all producing them.....in very good numbers...... Double the amount of BHPs were going into the market then.
There was more BHPs produced during the early 90's....than now.
The problem was that most of the new people who got into them......didn't really know how to breed or hatch them.

Then there's me and Tom.... who keep 90% of what we produce. Because in the end....it's just fun and accomplishment....that's what it's about...regardless of price.

I'm not saying they won't come down over time....but, they aren't going to 500 or even 1000 a pair.... for a good long time....unless they're crap animals. Haha.
I'm saying...they are still a solid investment animal...more so than most other snakes. They are still the best investment, natural occurring snake in the hobby, next to the Boelens, Angolans...and Toms Boas that are going to take the hobby by storm.... once they can be sold in any numbers.

Cheers,
D.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Info for DRoddy - AbsoluteApril, Mon Jul 6 12:07:18 2009
<< Previous topic:  Today's hatch! - Tom Keogan, Thu Jul 2 06:54:45 2009