return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: terrapene ornata or luteola?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ]

Posted by: kensopher at Sat Jul 11 06:33:31 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kensopher ]  

I should have added, like Rattay, that the turtle in the original post is very pretty.

My three toeds can have the appearance of being female up until they approach 5 inches. It is amazing...they will "go to bed" in the fall as a female and wake up in the Spring and start developing male characteristics. One clear sign to watch for is an overall coloration burst in the head and neck area. Females tend to maintain their coloration from about 3 inches to adulthood. But, males brighten considerably as they approach sexual maturity. Of course, there are frequent exceptions. I have occasionally been unsure of an individual's sex until it either mounted another or laid eggs!

The ornates are stunning! You have done a fantastic job with them. I would say that the first animal is most certainly female. The second looks a bit boyish in the face. They appear to be still growing, so keep an eye on that one for an elongating tail, an inner rear toe that curves inward, and a greening of the head. There is something about the gaze of a male ornate...their eyes look almost sinister. It could be the picture angle, but I'm sensing it in the second turtle.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: terrapene ornata or luteola? - boxienuts, Sat Jul 11 11:37:09 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: terrapene ornata or luteola? - HQReptiles, Sat Jul 11 12:08:12 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: terrapene ornata or luteola? - HQReptiles, Fri Jul 10 20:57:56 2009