return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Rat breeding cycle

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ]

Posted by: Sonya at Tue Jul 21 10:34:51 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sonya ]  

>>1)how long from conception till being able to re-breed the does? I am looking for reasonable time not power breeding.
>>

I have found over the last thirty years that whatever way you do it you will get about 6 litters from a doe before she is worthless. "Power" breeding isn't gonna shorten or lessen her productivity. If you want to space litters you may find that you get fewer litters due to her going infertile in the middle of your plans. Either way. Rebreeding can occur within 24hrs of birthing. Some wait two weeks, some wean the litter. Depends on you....do you need pinkies, fuzzys, hoppers??? you are gonna pull them as you want them. That kinda answers your number 2. I have rodents and pull what I need as I need it. Til I get to my bigger snakes then I pull worthless breeders or use a grow out tub for anyone past 4 weeks old.

>>2)how do most cull litters to get the assorted sizes for different sized snakes?
>>
>>3)what is the approximate time line....
>>pinkies - newborn, fuzzies - about a week, etc...

Depends on your definitions...for me. Newborn is first couple days. Then you get pinks, then peach fuzz, then fuzzy, then fuzzy hopper, then hopper then weanling, then small, medium large...You get the idea. I used to weigh prey and have numbers but it varies with rat lines and I am getting too old for nonesense.
>>
>>4)ratio of males to females (I am looking to keep each female in their own enclosure and move the male(s) from one to the next)

Will depend on how often you want to rebreed. I would leave him in one place 5 or 6 days. I also wouldn't bother with one girl per enclosure as rats really do fine in groups, raising litters that might otherwise be too much for one mom. That and they learn to be good moms so keeping them in small groups helps. I have mine in 1.3 to 1.5 and switch up the males every couple litters to keep their mind on business.
-----
Sonya

I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.
Happy Bunny

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Rat breeding cycle - Crash1265, Sun Jul 19 20:21:45 2009