return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Time between Preganancy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ]

Posted by: Sonya at Tue Jul 21 11:01:43 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sonya ]  

>>>If you go that route you will have females with babies nursing on her and you have babies living in her. She will be undernourished and she will always be being drained by her young in her and under her. I am pretty sure rats breed this in the wild but I have not heard that being fact. I am going this direction: It definitely keeps the numbers down and is definitely more expensive. I breed and than let mom have her babies and when I wean 3 to 4 weeks later I than put her back in the pregnancy mode. I am just as new at this as you so I am trying this first. It definitely sucks doing it this way because you are feeding the females for weeks while they are not producing babies. We are probably talking about 3 to 5 dollars a month but that does add up. The money is not near the issue for me as it is the fact that I know what I am feeding my snakes now. I have talked with many breeders that breed this way and they feel the way I do. They want to feel that they are doing everything possible to keep their rats in the best shape >>>possible.

I first want to say that I respect your thoughts but after thirty mumble mumble years of doing this I am gonna add some of mine.

You girls are gonna go infertile about 6 or 7 months down the road and have half as many litters with all that sitting around getting fat and watching tv. Justy ratty facts. Are your raising feeders or pets?

Do I believe they have any opinion about their being bred constantly or not?.....no. They are rats, not people.

If you are feeding correctly you will have healthy well conditioned breeders regardless. I cull off my breeders as Jumbos...they are monsters, not boney thin worn out shells.

Rats, like most of the earth's creatures, will reproduce to whatever extent their resources allow. Lemmings, think lemmings, and check out their life cycles. Why do they overpopulate? Resources . You are supplying your beasties food and water....it is always nirvana for them so of course they are gonna breed constantly. If they were undernourished they will reabsorb or eat pups.....change your diet, something is wrong with it.

I talked to a Mazuri supplier/salesman once....said I found on their foods my rats tended to cannabalize. He said feed more cat kibble mixed in. HELLO! Why am I buying your food then? Now this was years ago and things change. But I still feed by feel and tweak diets for each enclosure. Dog kibble, cat kibble, sunflower seed, stale breakfast cereal...Just how it works for me.
-----
Sonya

I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.
Happy Bunny

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Time between Preganancy - markru, Tue Jul 21 19:29:06 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Time between Preganancy - rainbowsrus, Wed Jul 22 17:24:13 2009
>> Next Message:  Respectfully disagree...... - rainbowsrus, Wed Jul 22 17:41:46 2009

<< Previous Message:  Time between Preganancy - markru, Mon Jul 20 11:58:28 2009