return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Nov 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 17, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Nov 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Breeding White Lipped Pythons

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ]

Posted by: Tom Keogan at Thu Sep 17 19:47:52 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Tom Keogan ]  

Tom thanks for getting back to me, i have a trio of northen's all weighing over 2kg,

Age? Size? Imported? Wormed? How long have they been captive? If you bought them as 2-4 foot captive born are they really captive born in the USA? It can sometimes take several years for an older imported animal to acclimate to our seasons.

this normal python cycling you are speaking about, is this just normal temp during the day basking point of 90 for 12 hours and low temp at night at 70 for 12 hours?

Its slightly more complicated then that, there are many factors. Are they kept in a rack in a small tub or a six foot cage? Are they in a heated room or an air conditioned room with heat tape and a hot spot? Normally for me it takes a 10-20 degree night time drop over a prolonged period of time to get things to ovulate. Its really hard to sum it up in a post!

when do you start this cycling and for how long?

I start cycling my stuff Nov. - Dec. in South Florida but for you it will depend on your location. Even if you think your controlling the temperatures they feel the natural fluctuation in seasonal temperatures. When I was in the cooler Northeast my season started Oct.-Nov.

when do you introduce the male to the female and for how long?

Depending on cage space I sometimes keep them together year round until she is gravid and going to lay. Some years I have kept them separate until Nov. and then kept them together until I know she is gravid.

and when do you separate the pair and raise temps back to normal?

aha the key! I don't separate the pair and raise the temps back to normal! Normally for me females grow follicles and ovulate when the temps are getting warmer. Leave the pair together while bringing the temps up and watch for swelling and more breeding. When she is gravid for sure and laying in a nest box upside down you can take the male away. If you end up with slugs and not nice white eggs you may have pulled him too soon! LOL

sorry for all the questions but your one of few people that has actually bred them.

I am only one of many but I do like to post what I breed here on the forums!

Do you breed other pythons? You my want to start with the basic books on boa or python reproduction! Some stuff works for some people and not others, that's the beauty of nature! Try different things and see what works for you or your snakes!

Good luck! Tom

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  OK to keep adult pythons on Sani-chips?? - MikeinLA, Sat Sep 19 20:45:49 2009
<< Previous topic:  Legal pure Indian Pythons back in Ohio! - Crocodilepaul, Fri Sep 11 12:33:26 2009