return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Nov 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 17, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Nov 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A plug for the other olive python (PICS)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ]

Posted by: Bryant_King at Thu Oct 1 21:07:43 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bryant_King ]  

The Australian olive pythons can be neat, especially if they are feeding. What about the other olive python, the Papuan olive python (Apodura papuanus)? I have both, and it is completely subjective, but I love my Papuan olive pythons. If I had to pick a favorite species, for me, it would be the Papuan olive pythons. That is like picking a favorite color or favorite flavor of ice cream, but let me tell you why I like the Papuan olive pythons.

Like the Australian olive pythons, the Papuan pythons are relatively uncommon. Prices are similar, although you can occasionally find a good deal on an imported Papuan olive python.

Baby Papuan olive pythons can be a little bit nippy, but they are largely bluffers. When Papuan olives strike, they show the dark inside to their mouth as a form of intimidation. I find that even when they strike, and open their mouth, they will rarely land their teeth on you. Either they have extremely short teeth, or they haven't struck me with harmful intentions. I have 2 imports and 3 captive borns. The imports were bought at about 4' and 5'. They calmed VERY quickly. A calm handling session or two rendered them very tame. I have spent less handling time with my 3 captive born ones, but I am sure they would tame just as quickly. I don't like getting bit, but these guys rarely bite, even if they strike.

Check out the colors. They seem to vary in an individual snake from time to time, not unlike many boa constrictors.

Look at the head pattern. It almost looks like the black lines are painted on. Also notice that the head is a different background color than the body. Their tongues are indigo in color. Speaking of which, given the docile nature of even imports, their almost monotone beauty (their color actually varies from ventral to dorsal), and their propensity to eat other snakes, I have sometimes referred to them as the indigos of pythons.

I have not handled anything quite like a Papuan olive python. They are as easy to keep as any python species. I understand they can reach up to 16' in exceptional cases. My largest young one is about 6'. But they are slender species and not considered to reach dangerous sizes. This makes them a substantial medium size species not covered under most large constrictor laws. Both species of olive python are rarely bred in captivity and there is much room for someone to find better methods for achieving this.

One note of caution: imported Papuan olive pythons often have some unusual parasites which I haven't taken the time to identify. Both of my imports had subcutaneous parasites (under the skin) but they disappeared over time. They have also defecated an unusual looking worm that almost resembled an earthworm which I have not seen in other species. These have not seemed to affect the overall health of mine, but worth noting.

Perhaps this adds another consideration to your list.

Bryant King

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  My first woma - Sharkman20, Wed Sep 30 23:07:26 2009
<< Previous topic:  Various pythons I produced this year - Kevin_Arbogast, Tue Sep 29 15:46:17 2009