return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

True Okeetees extinct?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: sjohn at Wed Oct 14 18:23:21 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sjohn ]  

Somwhere in this thread it was brought up maybe this is the case. I know what was meant by this comment...but there are some rue Okeetees out there, meaning animals that have ancestery from animals caught around the old plantation that have only been bred to other animals from the Okeetee area. Such as the animals below (this may be seen as a cheap way to promote for my Okeetees but this is not my intention)that come from animals that were collected by some of my very good friends and the resulting offspring have only been bred to other offspring that came from the original animals that were collected back in the late 80's. You can see some of the differences in some of these individuals.

This animal was an offspring of the original group that was captured in the late 80's, she was hatched out in '89 and died in 2007 but not after producing some 400 or so offspring in her life.

This female was produced by the one above and has what I consider the "look" of a classic Okeetee including the development of the dark longitudinal lines that often come with age.

This female was produced by the one above and the photo does not show how red this individual really is. It has a hypo look to it but it only has Okeetee blood in it, ie. blood from that original group on wild caught animals.
The two points I am trying to make is that locality Okeetees exsist (even though I know none really doubts this) which in this case, are offspring of animals that were captured in a relatively small area that we call the Okeetee and what we may call locality animals can change as we humans begin "messin" with them over the course of a few generations
Scott John Reptiles

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: True Okeetees extinct? - draybar, Wed Oct 14 19:31:18 2009 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: True Okeetees extinct? - hermanbronsgeest, Thu Oct 15 01:58:06 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: locality animals - hermanbronsgeest, Wed Oct 14 02:34:06 2009