return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I have a quick question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: pinelandsghost at Thu Oct 29 02:15:00 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pinelandsghost ]  

>> "Also on a tip from a friend of putting a couple small containers with an inch of cider vinigar with a drop of dish soap in it eradicated the fruit fly / knat problem I had"

So are they attracted to this, then drown in it because of the dish detergent?. Could you explain a little more about this please, because this is pretty interesting.
I know sticky fly traps work well, but this home remedy has also peaked my interest.
thanks, ~Doug

Yep, thats exactly it. Vinegar works but cider vinegar is twice as effective. The single drop of dish soap breaks the surface tension so they drown. I use green (like the color )2 liter soda bottle bottoms and deli cups from the shows.
In fact we buy box bulk crickets for tree frogs and keep them in a fish tank until we need them. They attract the flies too so I put a tall container in the tank with the mix. Wouldn't you know that a slew of the dumb butt crickets drowned themselves in it.
I solved that problem by using a little deli cup that one of the baby snakes came home in, with the lid on. It has the air holes on the sides that the crickets can't fit through and the knats have no problem getting through. Works great.
I do use the fly tapes hanging in an loop under the energy saver bulb thats on a timer in the reptile room. It claims its share but the cider vinegar dish soap trick works better. Together, i hardly every see a fly now.
You really have to try it! Incidentally though I'd like to take credit, it was a tip that a breader friend in Florida suggested. So thanks Kevin!
Mike.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I have a quick question - DMong, Thu Oct 29 10:20:25 2009

<< Previous Message:  I have a quick question - DMong, Wed Oct 28 10:45:24 2009