return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Supplements

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: DMong at Sun Nov 1 10:44:33 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Tims right about rodents being an entirely healthy and complete source of ALL the needed vitamins and minerals, and other essentials, and giving too much of the wrong or un-necessary thing could possibly work quite the opposit by putting a strain on the organs like the liver, kidneys, etc..

I've never used Nutri-bac personally, but I've read many good things about it when used correctly in the right circumstances. Yes, it is true Flagyl(Metronidazole) will kill all bacteria, good and bad, so there is some warrant to using this product to get the flora balance in the gut back up to par on certain animals. I would imagine if very small amounts were used once in a while, it might help to ensure things in the gut to continue to work properly, but if the animal is healthy to begin with, and the husbandry and environment is optimum, it shouldn't need it though. Now for recovering sick, delicate hatchlings that have had regurge issues for example, this could certainly be very beneficial.

Most people want to feed snakes that have regurgitated way too early anyway, when actually the best thing they could do is leave them alone and warm for a week and a half or more so they are able to replenish the critical enzymes, acids, bacteria, and electrolytes they initially lost that is needed for proper digestion.

In any case, yes there is some definite merrit to the stuff I would think, but a regular regimen of supplemental vitamins for snakes might be a waste of time and money in most circumstances, and maybe even less healthy in some cases.

Lizard supplimentation along with proper UV light is a totally different thing though, and is definitely needed to maintain proper health.

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  trans-pecos hatchlings - RandyWhittington, Sun Nov 1 10:26:44 2009
<< Previous topic:  I'm ignorant - ? hypo vs ghost - shadylady, Thu Oct 29 20:30:05 2009