return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: oh, something else

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: pinelandsghost at Tue Nov 10 02:04:11 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pinelandsghost ]  

Parasitic infections are something that I have become all to familiar with in the past year and have learned to diagnose and treat now on my own.
More than likely your vet will treat with fenbenzadole (I may have misspelled that )which is panacur and given antibiotic if the parasitic load has caused a respitory infection.
A good follow up is with a liquid base of Flagyl which will take care of abebic infections in the gut. THese medications require a follow up dose approximately 7-10 days later.
When all is said and done and the snake is free of parasites, I've recently been using a product called NutriBac probiotic to restore the good bacteria in the snakes digestive tracks.
I know there is some question as to whether this is necessary but I've had some very positive results with this product in a very short amount of time. From what I've seen I'm a believer.
I'd say if you address the problem now you have a very good chance that the problem can be corrected.
Lastly and very important, when you take your snake in to the vet bring the most recent stool sample you can collect. They will need that to determine what parasite you may be dealing with and the best course of action to take.
Mike.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: oh, something else - BillMcgElaphe, Tue Nov 10 07:53:15 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: oh, something else - CauseandEffect, Sun Nov 8 21:50:43 2009