return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: oh, something else

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: DMong at Tue Nov 10 16:21:41 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

I do think I remember that problem a long while back. Glad you got things under control now, and that the snake has held down all meals and put the weight back on.

I had a problem a long time ago with a subadult Honduran milksnake(approx 300 grams). She started regurging every single meal, no matter how small, even with 2 weeks in between feeding attempts. That had me very concerned, so it was time to break-out the "big guns" and intitiate a dose of Flagyl at about 50 mg/kg, and another follow-up dose 12 days later, then allowed a week or more to allow her intestinal tract to regain it's acids, enzymes, electrolytes, and gut flora, then BAM! everything was fine and dandy from that day forward, and this was years ago. I also had the common sense to start her meals off after this ordeal with VERY small ones, then very gradually worked her way up in size after several meals were proven to be held down without any problems.

I'm guessing that she must have drank some fowled water from her bowl before I could get to it I guess. I didn't have any Nutri-Bac at the time, but if I did, I certainly would have given her a tad of that too afterwards,....this can certainly only help matters out for sure, and I would also agree with your comment on using it as a definite follow-up regimen after any Flagyl/Panacur treatments in the future.

This stuff is very reasonably priced too, so it is a smart addition to any herpers arsenal of weapons to keep their snakes in good health.

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: oh, something else - BillMcgElaphe, Wed Nov 11 08:57:09 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: oh, something else - pinelandsghost, Tue Nov 10 15:37:11 2009