return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Burmese Survival Research in FL

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ]

Posted by: steelersdiehard at Fri Jan 29 08:09:05 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by steelersdiehard ]  

I recently wrote University of Florida wildlife biologist Dr. Frank Mazzotti after reading an article about research they were doing during the freeze in Florida earlier this month, Here is the link to the original article...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/weather/01/10/us.cold.weather/index.html

This is his response I received yesterday

"We evaluated the effects of the recent extended period of cold temperature on Burmese pythons by following the fate of pythons with radio transmitters and by conducting searches for pythons both during and especially immediately after the cold spell. We are preparing the results for rapid publication in a peer reviewed outlet and we will issue a press release with with the detailed results coincident with their publication. At the moment we can tell you that pythons both survived and died during the cold period. The cause of death was not always apparent and that is one of the areas we are still gathering information on. We believe that rapid peer reviewed publication of these results is in everyones best interest.

We are getting requests for the results from everywhere from individuals to CNN. I really want to avoid the controversy surrounding other efforts that were not exposed to external peer review. We are fortunate enough to have been in a position to know exactly what happened. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the results.

Frank"

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Burmese Survival Research in FL - Jaykis, Fri Jan 29 08:47:53 2010