return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Post brumation URI IN Thayeri

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mexicana Kingsnakes ]

Posted by: BrianS. at Tue Mar 23 14:52:58 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BrianS. ]  

Putting the snake in a tank or tub with increased heat in definitely the first thing to do, and there isn't a whole lot you can do at home other than that at this point.

As for post brumation URI, here is something I had happen already this year, may be positive for you. I had an alterna that came out of brumation just fine. About 3 days out, she started to develop RI symptoms after seemingly being in perfect health. Rattling, wheezing, even gurgling sounds. A day later, her lower lip swelled and her jaw looked misaligned.

I increased her heat and waited, hoping for the best. She went opaque a day later (about 5 days post brumation), and the symptoms worsened a bit. Started thinking about a vet trip. Her symptoms stayed about the same for 2 more days, then her skin and eyes cleared (not yet shed, but right before), and I thought her symptoms seemed better. The next day, she shed. Every single symptom, including the swelling, was instantly gone. She had clear sounds, no rattling, no swelling, and took a mouse the very same day.

I've never had this happen to me before, but after I posted, I've had several responses of people with similar experiences. It could be a true RI responding to the increased heat -though I'm not sure that I think that's the case-, or it could be the stress of brumation/shedding/increased heat causing issues with the snakes immune system or health in general. Either way, it cleared up almost instantly.

I lean toward the stress issue myself, I think it's too easy to believe that the people that have had this happen, all cleared up an RI with increased heat, we couldn't all have been that lucky. However, I wouldn't bank on this happening with your snake, it's just something to hope and watch for. So, keep doing what you're doing, watch for shedding signs and see what happens. Don't wait too long, if you have a vet near you that can help, don't hesitate to take the snake in. I think Thayeri are a little more resistant to RI than a lot of other species, but they are still nothing to take lightly.

Brian

www.serpenteer.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  brumation - cadmus, Fri Mar 26 04:51:34 2010
<< Previous topic:  A few breeding pics..... - Jlassiter, Sun Mar 21 20:34:33 2010