return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Post brumation URI IN Thayeri

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mexicana Kingsnakes ]

Posted by: BrianS. at Tue Mar 23 21:46:40 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BrianS. ]  

There are definitely two schools of thought here. I agree with John, and err on the side of caution. The snake doesn't need 24/7 access to water, so why take the chance of the increased humidity causing an issue.

In my opinion, which in no way is expert. It depends on the species of snake, as to what could cause or help the RI. Thayeri are not "humid loving" snakes. RIs in them do come mostly from bad conditions, usually wet or dirty cages. I don't think dry, dusty conditions do it. So, the treatment should involve dry conditions.

However, I also keep Green Tree Pyhons and a couple Emerald Tree Boas. Now, here I think that too dry conditions can lead to the RI. And the treatment should involve an increase in humidity and temperature. Again, it depends on the type of snake.

Something to keep in mind that's important. A respiratory infection, is just that, an infection. They aren't necessarily "caused" by the conditions. Your snake can get one when you are doing everything exactly right (the GTP and Emeralds are good examples of this). BUT, the bad conditions lead to your snake being in poor health, and give the environment necessary for whatever causes the RI to be present. Put the two together and you've got a potentially bad situation.

Like John, I've never had a snake come out of brumation in anything but great health. Which is what baffled me with the snake I mentioned earlier, I didn't really think it should have an RI, and it turned out that it didn't. I'm really interested in seeing how your snake does. If it went into brumation in good health, and the conditions during brumation were good. I don't think you're going to have a problem. Hope this helps,

-----
Brian

www.serpenteer.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  brumation - cadmus, Fri Mar 26 04:51:34 2010
<< Previous topic:  A few breeding pics..... - Jlassiter, Sun Mar 21 20:34:33 2010