return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Success! She's finally empty!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mexicana Kingsnakes ]

Posted by: tgcorley at Sun Apr 25 18:02:30 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tgcorley ]  

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the support during this interesting episode. I have bred lots of corn snakes, cal kings, and Honduran milks in the past, but this is my first experience with thayeri.

Our neighbor is a vet tech, and when I told her what was going on, she offered to take a look. As she was gently feeling the bulge in the snake, she asked if she could try gently expressing the egg - and less than a minute later, after applying gentle but steady pressure, out popped the biggest momma egg of the clutch (about 50% larger than the others) It looks good, so it's in the incubator with the others now.

Then I noticed the snake had one pressure more egg about three inches up from her vent. I applied the same technique -- gentle, but steady pressure, watching her scales move and contract behind the egg, and one minute later I had the second egg in my hand. Best of all, there was no evidence of any blood or any tissue adhered to the eggs, so I am hopeful that not internal tearing of the oviduct occurred. The snake now seems thoroughly exhausted, so she's holed up back in the nesting box. In a day or two I will tempt her with a small fuzzy and try get her back on feed. After this first ordeal, I won't try to breed her again this season. This was her first year. and she deserves a break.

I don't know if she would have passed those eggs herself, but I thought I'd give it a try, taking my cues from the snakes's reaction. Slow, gentle, and steady seemed to do the trick. By the way, the total number of viable-looking eggs is 16. With some good luck, in 65-75 days I MIGHT be presented with the proverbial Whitman's Sampler of thayeri babies. But who's counting chickens? Not me - I've been involved with this hobby for a long time and know that nothing is a sure thing when it comes to dealing with captive reptiles.

Tom

Tom

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Success! She's finally empty! - JKruse, Wed May 5 13:44:23 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: HELP! Last egg stuck? - Jlassiter, Sun Apr 25 14:21:51 2010