return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fire Skink . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: beardie not giving up........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: DreamWorks at Sat Jun 5 17:33:47 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DreamWorks ]  

Robb...

This is the unfortunate circumstance that some call, "failure to thrive." It is a shame and it sucks to have an animal not do well once you have built an attachment to it. You and I have talked a number of times, and I have tried to give you some tips etc.

Occasionally, an animal will not do well for several possible reasons:

1. The animal was a lower level member of the clutch in terms of vigor from the start.
(In a clutch not all the animals are going to be super hearty healthy and with great vigor.) It is usually a 40% to 60% ratio. 40% healthy hearty top of the line vigor... 60% not this way.

2. The parents may not have been top vigor breeders, and or the dam (mother) was not old enough or in top vigor when she started to be bred.

3. Some dragons just for some reason, do not thrive in captivity. They may have been crossed back into some genes that were too closely related or some unknown variable.

4. They may have an unknown virus that you would need to have diagnosed... you would need to swab the animal put the swab into an airtight package and have it sent off to a lab for analysis etc etc.

5. Improper care and husbandry.

6. parasitic infestation

7. Honestly... If we sat here long enough, I think we could come up with 20 different reasons as to why some just dont thrive.

This is why in the wild it is survival of the fittest. Darwinism

This is an evolutionary necessity.

The animals that are allowed to replicate and survive in the wild are the heartiest biggest healthiest creatures. And it also why the dragons lay 20 eggs in a clutch and lay several clutches year after year. Even with the evolutionary process in full swing the attrition rate still plays a big factor.

When you encounter an issue like this I would personally not pass the buck and hope for some rescue to hopefully treat the animal and provide it with a decent meager miserable existence.

You will most likely have to humanely euthanize the animal.

Sadly, this is the reality of the situation.

Didnt you say you had acquired this animal from a friend who was not taking proper care of it?

Personally, I would raise hell with that person and would make them contribute to sorting it out.

I hate to see people treat animals like this and I myself, like you... am an animal lover. Your friend is the one who should be involved with the euthanization process. Unfortunately, people who dont care for their animals properly... they too are usually the ones who wouldnt gain much of a learning experience such as this one would provide.

Find a healthy dragon from a reputable breeder and try hard to get one of the bigger ones from the clutch.

Dont pass the buck though that is my advice.

You made good efforts with this animal, and I commend you for them. The dragon was fortunate to have attempt to bring it back from the brink.

You efforts toward the keeping of dragons is better served working with hearty healthy specimens. Im not saying to cut your losses and run on a whim.

But when the animal has fungus and rot growing on its head this is a very bad thing and will normally mean a cruel prolonged death. You need to make a determination on what has to be done with the animal and much consistent effort you've made and how much progress you have had also.

Keeping dragons that are wild creatures requires a little bit of a hardened heart. The more knowledgeable you become the better any reptile will be under your care.

best regards

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  beardie not giving up........ - robbeardies, Sat Jun 5 17:01:22 2010