return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: little help here rat people

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: draybar at Sun Jun 6 12:13:06 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by draybar ]  

>>Looks like a Rusty (Black) Rat. The general shape and pattern say "Black Rat Snake" to me. Here's a couple of albinos that I used to have - you can see that there's quite a bit of variability in these snakes - it's just that the black pigment usually hides the color/pattern variability.
>>
>>Tim
>>
>>Third Eye

yeah, everything I saw said black rat morph.
I'm just not up on the black rat morphs. I seemed to remember seeing some rusty black rats and that was what came to mind.
preliminary probe says female...I will probe again today to be sure. I haven't been working with black rats but this one caught me eye so I thought I might work towards breeding a few of these. Now all I need to do is find a male.

I traded a 4 1/2 foot male motley creamsicle for it. At first we weren't sure if it was male or female.
I'm not sure if he would want me to use his name here, or not, so I will just call him Bama.
"Bama" is just now getting into breeding corns and corn/emoryi crosses and I've been trying to help him out. A few starter animals, advice and any information and can think to give him
He had a couple of friends who saw the snake and told him it was just a worthless snake and offered to trade for it.
He wanted me to see it first so he wouldn't be taken advantage of.
I wasn't sure what it was from phone pics but I was thinking black rat morph (rusty).
I told "Bama" I would give him an honest opinion of what it might be and offer him what I thought would be a fair exchange considering he didn't want to work with Obseletas but did want to work with corns and corn/emoryi crosses.
I know some of you hate anything to do with crosses so I'm not really asking your opinions, on this, but the ones of you who notice a value in morphs and mixes do you feel I gave him a fair trade?
I don't want to take advantage of a new member to our hobby.
I want to get him into the hobby and I want him to feel he can turn to me for help and fairness.
I also got a nice Alabama wild caught female corn from him and he got an '09 female emoryi possibly het albino and an adult female bairdi from me.
-----
Corn snakes and rat snakes..No one can have just one.
"Resistance is futile"
Jimmy Johnson
(Draybar)
Draybars Snakes

_____

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Tigers gravid: - Oxyrhopus, Sun Jun 6 08:14:20 2010
<< Previous topic:  Anyone work with twin spotted rats? - a153fish, Thu Jun 3 16:47:49 2010