return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Solar radiation...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Fri Jun 18 17:25:22 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

Heat is a form of energy which is generated by many methods. Rub your hands together vigorously and you will see heat doesn't need any ultraviolet light to occur.

The sun puts out all kinds of radiation, most of the harmful kinds are filtered out by the Earth's atmosphere. Sure there is still plenty of UV light coming in and it does excite the molecules within air to produce heat. But the point is, UVB, no matter how intense it can get on the equator during noon in direct sun, will be sufficient to kill a dragon alone. Heat will do it much faster.

The sun does produce heat, no denying that, but heat comes for many sources and all produce the same results if its too intense. So all your jumping up and down trying to prove UV kills dragons if they are exposed to high levels of it, really is pointless, if the levels alone are not sufficient to kill an animal, when the heat produced in a box in direct sunlight with no air flow and being reflected all over the place due to being fairly light in color, raising the ambient temperature within the box to lethal levels.

Heat and UVB play a factor in increasing heat inside an animal to dangerous levels, but by far the greater cause of heat stroke, is just that, heat.

Being a fair skinned person myself, I can suffer heat stroke in my apartment, in the dark, if I don't do something to prevent it.
-----
PHLdyPayne

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Parasites... - DreamWorks, Wed Jun 16 22:38:48 2010
<< Previous topic:  Dubias for beardies? - robbeardies, Mon Jun 14 18:44:41 2010