return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: The Killer Sun...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: DreamWorks at Sat Jun 19 17:23:33 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DreamWorks ]  

All I did was post some observations about the suns uvb intensity initially.

I was told how wrong I was, and that it was heat that killed the dragon. I was being naive.

Here is where I made my argument and where I believe my point is valid...

I took the liberty of capturing a photo. Took like 5 pictures before I got the picture I wanted. It was 97 on the first couple shots. Using my heat gun.

This is where on of my dragons hangs out all day every day. On cedar this log. It is 95 degrees there all day long. I have even shot on his back and get the same reading 95-96 degrees.

Our bodies are 98.6 degrees and rise up to 102-103 when someone has a fever. Do we instantly die from the heat?

The heat is not killing him.

Josh actually confirmed my argument that the dragons scamper out of the sun and hide when the temp rises. Well it is not the temp that these dragons are afraid of and hiding from.

The temp rises and falls on earth as the earth revolves around the sun and the angle of the suns rays vary. When they are straight and aligned with the earth the temp is highest...

but the UV index is also the highest at this time as well.

It is the harmful effects of intense uv and infrared light radiation (elctromagnetic radiation) that amplify the heat effect compounding it... and thus, induce a quick kill.

I will freely admit that it wasnt the uvb that killed the dragon... I admitted that right away and said that it would only mess up their eyes. Many days worth of exposure might poison and kill them.

However...

When you take all the invisible parts of the spectrum and combine them as the sun does, (our bulbs do not have these compounding qualities) it makes for a lethal mix of intense heat inducing light energy (visible and invisible combined) that will rapidly overheat the animal.

The dragons can only endure shorter periods of intense high uv index heat from the sun.

Hiding underneath a plant does little to drop temperatures (ambient) but it quickly blocks the compounding heat effects of elctromagnetic radiation (uva/uvb/ifrared invisible solar light).

In it's simplest form... yes the dragon died from heat exhaustion.

But, it is more complicated than that when you break it down and explore the separate components of light energy involved causing this ramp up in heat by the sun.

enjoy

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Parasites... - DreamWorks, Wed Jun 16 22:38:48 2010
<< Previous topic:  Dubias for beardies? - robbeardies, Mon Jun 14 18:44:41 2010