return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: should I get a male or female???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Thu Jun 17 17:21:09 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

I don't think sex really matters much on whether one or the other sex is a better pet. All dragons have their own distinct personalities. I have only kept single females so far and both of them were rather fiesty till they reached about 2 years of age. My current female is pretty laid back and allows handling much better. I haven't handled her alot, probably less than many pet dragon owners but I do interact with her and notice the differences in her personality compared to my first dragon.

Males do get more stocky in built with a bigger head in general than females...Females are far more wider and rounder of body, to have room for egg bearing. The only real drawback I see in the sexes is females can and do produce infertile eggs, even if there is no male around at all. My female produce 5 infertile clutches last year, though this year she hasn't shown any signs of doing so again. Infertile eggs can have more chance to cause egg binding...but overall, no real reason not to get a female over a male. Just have to watch for signs in the female when she's old enough, that she may be gravid. Providing a suitable nesting box solves the problem by giving her a good place to lay eggs.

I second going to a reptile show. There are many benefits to going to one other than greater chance of getting a healthy animal for alot less than the local petstore. You get to meet breeders, have greater choice in animals, often with several breeders as well. You can see a variety of color/patter morphs and check the health of the animals. You can learn care tips, feeding habits etc from the breeder. Not to mention the chance to see many reptiles currently in the trade.

Just getting the chance to talk with other reptile lovers makes a reptile show well worth going. You can also stock up on a variety of feeders too for good prices. It is easy to pick up a box of a 1000 crickets of the size you want for $10 or so, and unlike when ordering online you don't have to worry about added shipping costs.

I have driven 4 hours one way to go to shows before...may cost me $80 in gas....but when I can buy a really nice colored dragon for about $70-$90 compared to the $199 at a pet store...the difference in cost more than makes up for the trip. That and the fun of just being at the show.
-----
PHLdyPayne

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: should I get a male or female??? - horsema, Sat Jun 19 19:22:01 2010

<< Previous Message:  should I get a male or female??? - horsema, Thu Jun 17 01:39:52 2010