return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

oops. also...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: JackAsp at Mon Jun 28 22:49:46 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JackAsp ]  

While doihg that "fix a typo, add a sentence, fix two more typos, add a paragraph" thing that ramblers tend to do, I completely forgot the " snake was in the house" thing. Granted, he may well not be any longer, but this does add another angle. Especailly since the hole has to be fixed, if you don't want mice from the garage constantly moving into the house.
I tentatively vote: assume he's gone back, patch the hole up, and if you DO see him, remember that they're bluffers, not fighters. Catch him with leather gloves if it makes you or whoever ends up with the job more secure, or throw a blanket over him, grab his tail, and carry him out still mostly wadded up in it.. or whatever... but remember what I said before; you're danger of being bitten by a mouse, as far as both probabiliy AND risk, is immensely higher than from a bullsnake. If h e turns up in the laundry room or something, you'll be surprised and nervous... and then you'll deal with the issue without getting injured or maimed and then you'll go on with your life. Because when it's all said and done, the reason a frightened, cornered bullsnake is as noisy as it is.. is that it's actually less dangerous than a turtle. There are smaller snakes, such as racers and waters, that really do excel at tearing people up. Bulls have very small teeth and powerful bodies, all as part of their tight-quarters-constrictor strategy, and while strong for their size they are no actual match for a human, not even a small child.
About getting the mice out of the house, and perhaps even garage: you might want to look into those ultrasonic devices.
Ultimately, of course, being a snake guy, I still lean toward putting a big fat bull snake back in the garage if he's not there already, because the eating capacity of those guys, at least during the mouse-breeding months, is completely ridiculous.
-----
0.1 2006 Western Hognose (Bebe)
0.1 age unknown Cane Toad (Hengo)
0.1 2005 White-Banded Sheen Skink (Minerva)
1.0 2006 Northern Diamondback Terrapin (Queequeg)
1.0 2006 Madagascan Speckled "Hognose" (Sigmund)
1.0 2008 Bullsnake (Winkle)
1.2 2008 Eastern Collared Lizards (Pancho, Lupe, and Chica)
2.0 2009 Eastern Collared Lizards (Cesar and Nino)

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: snake in my garage - JackAsp, Mon Jun 28 22:17:41 2010