return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Plated Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: outside enclosures

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: DreamWorks at Tue Jun 22 19:02:40 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DreamWorks ]  

I had my dragons out in the trees when I was taking photos back about six months ago.

I didnt notice it right away but shortly after I noticed a red small mite on one of my dragons.

I started to investigate and realized they were all infested with these little red mites.

They were soft bodied and if sprayed with mite off would almost instantly let go and then were easy to get off. Otherwise without the mite off... they would stay pretty well attached and if scrubbed hard enough they would burst. They were about the size of the tip of a number two pencil led if sharpened to a fine point.

They would go mostly into the armpits and tail region and neck also. I had to scrub everything and bleach all the furniture for weeks to finally rid my dragons of them.

If your working with an enclosure of some sort I dont think its as big of a deal but when you let them scamper around under or in trees it could be an issue and if I ever do that again I will pretreat with mite off first.

They may be regionally specific to Florida.

I only had small amounts like 5 or six on each dragon.

here is a dragon infested with red mites:

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: outside enclosures - angiehusk, Tue Jun 22 19:50:55 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: outside enclosures - DreamWorks, Tue Jun 22 20:17:03 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: outside enclosures - PHLdyPayne, Tue Jun 22 16:43:27 2010