return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fire Skink . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Is a 10.0 flourescent the same?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: DreamWorks at Tue Jun 29 20:46:31 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DreamWorks ]  

10.0 is supposedly 10% uvb... I have tried a few different brands with my solar meter uvb 6.2 meter.

I had this one uvb lamp that I tested made by zoo med for Igana's that was supposedly a full spectrum uvb bulb... it did not register any uvb on my 6.2 meter.

I have tried the full spectrum plant & aquarium bulbs from home depot... they emit little to no uvb as registered on the meter.

The full sun here in Florida last week at 1pm with no clouds was 340 nano meters on the meter.

The reptisun 10.0 bulbs at 10 inches put out 25-35 nano meters of uvb. They are 25 dollars apiece.

Dragons need over 50nm of uvb intensity for it to do any good for your dragon.

The mercury vapor bulbs put out the most uvb...

I have tested the following mercury vapor bulbs...

powersun by zoomed 100 watt mv bulb:

At 12 inches it is doing 90nm uvb intensity

(directly underneath)

125 watt exo terra mv bulbs:

At 12 inches the do 110nm uvb intensity

So the mercury vapor bulbs are where it is at for uvb.

I would recommend a nice mercury vapor bulb for uvb... the 10.0 reptisun puts out the most consistent uvb for florescent tube lights. 25-35nm worth

If you going to go with a 10.0 reptisun you may want to do two of them to get a fair amount of uvb. But, I think with that much intense light emission... you may run into eye problems because that is a lot of light. Typically they can not hide from the florescent tube lights as well as a spot beam projecting MVB and a lot of enclosures are white which makes it even worse.

The mercury vapor bulbs are fairly nice now. They need to have a good white coating and a silver coating all the way up around the side. Otherwise they are faulty. The good thing is that the dragon can avoid them if they want with the spot beam projection method they use.

I use the mvb bulbs and the reptisun 10.0s in conjunction but only one of each.

In one of the bigger enclosures I actually have an incondescent halogen uva reptile spot light, an 100 watt MVB, and a reptisun 10.0 I used my temp gun to get the temp perfect and where I wanted it.

This is a mostly open air enclosure.

Raz is in that enclosure and is doing amazing there.

Needless to say... if you're looking for good uvb output the 10.0's actually suck in my personal opinion.

You're better off with a mercury vapor for heat/uvb and an el cheepo florescent for just lighting purposes.

I could not believe that even a brand new reptisun 10.0 only puts out under 30nm at even 8 inches.

At 25 bucks a pop that is lackluster!

Oh yeah, I do have this one compact 9watt Zilla ESU Reptillian compact lamp setup. It has two 9watt desert series 50 compact bulbs. At 10 inches it does 55nm.

best regards

I will have to get the meter out and do some good tests with it one day and do a nice writeup.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Purple Translucent Leather - oregonsnakes, Tue Jun 29 11:37:03 2010
<< Previous topic:  Pic... - DreamWorks, Mon Jun 28 21:58:04 2010