return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: The article you posted a link to below..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: DreamWorks at Sun Jul 11 15:07:46 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DreamWorks ]  

It is a good article to inform people about use and importance of probiotics with medication. That is the most useful aspect of the article.

I never said that the animals "dragons" aren't rife with parasites. In captivity...

they most certainly are.

You could have an animal with a very good immune system that is docile and not easily stressed. The animal could live it's entire life cycle without any issues. (although I doubt it) I have had a very mature vibrant healthy robust animal that was diagnosed with internal parasites and saw first hand what it did to her. As well as another big mature 24" male that started acting lethargic and was diagnosed with internal parasites.

Just like dogs with worms, coccidia, and various other parasites... they need to be treated and eliminated.

Here is what I have noticed:

The dragons I have kept with parasites have reduced appetites and often have inconsistent stool samples.

For example: runny wet, extremely smelly, non frequent

The dragons with no parasites have the following:

More consistent stool samples. Tighter, less smelly/watery, more consistent stool samples with heartier appetites

The dragon should have no internal parasites. And provide clean fecals.

Im sure...

I could find literature from both sides of the issue.

My vet found coccidia in one of my dragons "Aurora" and immediately told me to treat with panacur.

At the time I did not know that Albon was better to treat coccidia with. She also said it was good for deworming etc.

If your comfortable keeping dragon colonies rife with parasites and coccidia and want to allow your dragons to naturally fend off these internal parasitic vermin that is fine.

IMPORTANT...

HERE IS SOMETHING TO CONSIDER:

The parasites of course do not want to kill off the host!!

They would in turn kill themselves. They are all about self preservation. If they killed off the host their own life cycle would end. They are happy dwelling in the host.

By doing so they have the opportunity to infest many other creatures that way. Intermediate hosts, dead end hosts, etc. Several types of hosts. When in the dragon the dragon is an intermediate host where they will spread it to others. Typically if a human is infected, we become dead end hosts and will not spread the parasite to others.

Including humans.

Yes... coccidia and internal parasites can be spread to humans.

If you have parasites in your animals. The best remedy is to kill them. Best case scenario. Fond it early while the animal is healthy, use lots of probiotics with the medication.

Why wait until the animal slips into an outward sign of hosting the parasite.

With some stress or any number of external factors the dragon could have an infestation and potential life threatening issue.

Take your animal to a vet... if they find traces of any internal parasite. They are going to identify the parasite and help you eliminate the threat.

They are not going to say... "oh it's ok for the parasite to be there. Let their immune system handle it."

that's a laugh

They should carry no parasites. The fact that they do and can live with them, hardly makes it ok... or a safe practice.

Panacur is more harsh than Albon. I have found articles that talk about the adverse reaction in some animals by vets of animals treated with panacur. It kills most if not all all internal gut flora and natural bacteria etc.

Use panacur less often as it is more toxic and needs to be used in higher strength doses to be truly effective.

Albon is a sulfur drug and panacur I'm not certain but I dont believe it's a sulfur drug.

If your content allowing your animals to host these parasites... so be it. Good luck.

When you have some rescue dragons where most of them are deformed and norms I guess it is worth running the risk.

Me personally, I have some rather expensive dragons which I dearly love. These creatures carrying parasites in any capacity is something I will not tolerate.

I dont care what some outdated reptile book says.

I have said my peace on this issue. You know where I stand.

enjoy

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The article you posted a link to below.. - BDlvr, Sun Jul 11 15:19:02 2010
>> Next Message:  I asked why you suggested the article - chris allen, Sun Jul 11 18:25:38 2010

<< Previous Message:  The article you posted a link to below.. - chris allen, Fri Jul 9 20:44:54 2010