return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I asked why you suggested the article

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: DreamWorks at Mon Jul 12 10:28:55 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DreamWorks ]  

Thanks for the well written response.

Honestly, I read that article awhile ago Chris.

I knew it had some good information about the importance of treating animals with medication and using lots of probiotics. But it has been awhile and I have learned a lot since reading it. I forgot the minute details, but remember the lady treating with lots of probiotics. It's a fine science becasue she talks about using them in conjunction with the medication also which will dilute the medication. I use the medication and skip a day on the skip day I use probiotics and alternate. Not probiotics and medication on the same day. It defeats the purpose.

If used properly, with probiotics, and on more mature good sized dragons. I have found a great deal of success with using medication (panacur and Albon for coccidia) when dealing with parasites.

Coccidia is an internal parasite and will eventually attack intestinal walls and cause an infestation.

I had a dragon named Aurora. She was thee most ravenous eater and healthiest dragon I have ever owned. All of sudden she started having runny stools, and blood in her stool. Her ravenous appetite (she would literally run along the glass back and forth until fed ever day and I would feed her 20-30 roaches a day if not more) I will post a pic of her. She was huge and super healthy.

I took her to the vet. The vet diagnosed her with coccidia. I treated her with panacur. She got worse. I used the medication with limited amounts of probiotics and could not get her to recover. Had her back and forth to the vet 4 times. I also did not have a microscope and I believe the infestation was pretty far along before she was treated.

But needless to say...

from what I have read... yes, you're right some animals (cows large grain eating animals, grazers) can carry coccidia and live a normal healthy lifestyle. They (the parasites) will typically be content to eat the plant and food matter in the animals intestines colon stomach etc.

On smaller animals the risk of them harboring these internal parasites is greater.

So why run the risk? If you can identify them... using a microscope doing floats or at the vet. Then get the proper medication (aldon for coccidia and panacur for worms and other parasites) and treat them.

I have treated a couple animals now using lots of probiotics and properly identifying the parasites. I have had great success.

Coccidia is not good for them to harbor. It rapidly spreads and infects other animals within your dragon colony. The parasite will rob your animal of nutrients, cause them to become lethargic, etc.

Not to be a jerk... but I am going off of what I physically saw happen to one of my healthiest dragons. Physical proof of what coccidia can do to a dragon.

I dont care what any outdated dragon keeping book says about the animals carrying the parasite. Coccidia

They contradict each other. And even vets have contradictory opinions about the issue.

In the book that I have, the Bearded Dragon in Captivity, by Allen Repashy... on page 50 it specifically talks about an animal being infected with coccidia. It says the animal needs to be quarantined away from any other dragons or it will spread the DISEASE to other healthy dragons.

Sure doesn't seem like a malignant non issue to me.

When I make comments about the norms and rescue dragons these comments are directed at one person only... who I find obnoxious.

Other than that, Im being facetious. I love and respect all animals. Big or small sic lame or lazy

It doesnt matter to me.

I'm an animal lover.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Aurora

RIP

She never came back after her coccidia infestation.

That is why I make ever effort eliminate it.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I asked why you suggested the article - BDlvr, Mon Jul 12 11:38:29 2010

<< Previous Message:  I asked why you suggested the article - chris allen, Sun Jul 11 18:25:38 2010