return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Getting back into the game(long)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: Earthworks at Wed Jul 14 18:37:20 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Earthworks ]  

ive always loved working with reptiles and was breeding balls for my first year in 2005 with a pastel male and 3 normal females, this was when pastels were pretty hot and a good deal more expensive as i recall with the females selling fast for upcoming crosses. 2 of the females produced for me and i hatched out 2.4 pastels and 4.3 normals all of which i was able to raise and sell. i held back one pastel female and used some of the profits to buy a nice spider male for the following season (also a good deal more $ at the time) i got him and the female normals up to weight and bred them the next season, once again 2 females laid and the eggs went to the inc. unfortunently there was a power outage at some point that i was not around for which managed to put my inc thermostat into some default neutral(selection) setting for several days without my knowledge and i lost the 2 clutches. partly out of frustration over this and a good deal due to a hectic life at the time i sold all my breeders after that season and kept only my self produced pastel female as a pet.(she is now a 2700 gram puppy)

sooo 4 and 1/2 years later i find myself in a very stable living/financial situation and i really want to get back in on the breeding, ive been trying to catch myself back up with the genetics and the market ect, market still seems suprisingly good, genetics have gotten wild! i struggle in keeping up with all the genes at work with some of the 3-(4!?) visual codom/doms ect. so i want to get a good male in the 400gr range and start fattening him up as i aquire some nice females and go from there. i want to chose a male that caters to some of the combos i like and that i can really expand into some fun projects

so without further adue here are my 3 top choices for my breeder male, pls rank them in your opinion (1-3 or just tell be your favourite) based on the following criteria: future popularity and potential of morph for crosses ect..., price sustainability of said morph and potential crosses. thx!

heres the 3 choices
1. Axantic 2. Clown 3. Desert Ghost 4. Killer Bee male

obviously i will build the females around the chosen male, find myself leaning towards the clown and ghost but im seeing some amazing axanthic crosses i love.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Getting back into the game(long) - Earthworks, Wed Jul 14 18:39:16 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Getting back into the game(long) - JYohe, Wed Jul 14 20:08:17 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Getting back into the game(long) - TerryHeuring, Wed Jul 14 20:55:12 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Getting back into the game(long) - kingofspades, Wed Jul 14 22:10:11 2010