return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: You can relax somewhat...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: WALL2WALLREPTILE at Thu Jul 15 02:19:31 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WALL2WALLREPTILE ]  

Great Stories! I could really visualize the first one...Too funny!

To the original poster:
I really think being a part of the solution is better than just bad-mouthing a large chain of retail stores. While there may be many locations with poor conditions there must also be some with decent conditions and employees who are well versed in the proper care of animals...as well as being genuinely helpful to customers.

The original poster used a rather broad stroke to create a negative image.
I have only been in our local PetSmart and PetCo on a few occasions...but while there I have always helped to provide info for both the customers as well as members of the staff.
If you approach staff members/employees with helpful tips about proper care and species information (without sounding like a "smarty-pants" they are more likely to take the constructive advice.....AND put it to use.
Now the managers and several employees of my local PetSmart and PetCo often contact me when they have questions from costumers that they are not able to answer themselves.
They also contact me about proper care and cage set-up for species that they are not yet familiar with...or animals that they are having difficulty maintaining properly.
When any retail outlet becomes as large as these companies...It is difficult to enforce standard care protocol across the board. Often the employee are paid relatively low wages. There are high volumes of employee turn-over. This makes the job of properly maintaining reptiles even more difficult. It can become a situation where the "blind are leading the blind" when it comes to employee training.

If you are truly knowledgeable about the proper care and management of reptiles...you should offer your informed support and positive suggestions rather than merely making negative or downright rude comments.
For herpers to really be appreciated as an asset in their local community they need to strive to make a positive impact.
Just my 2 cents.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: You can relax somewhat... - JLSReptiles2011, Thu Jul 15 08:11:08 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: You can relax somewhat... - kingofspades, Thu Jul 15 00:35:43 2010