return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: what about a

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: Bryant_King at Sat Jul 24 19:14:55 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bryant_King ]  

I was going to say indigo too since you seem to like shiny black snakes. They certainly have a wow factor to them and are very alert and fascinating. If the indigo is too big or too expensive, consider a mussurana. They too are a glossy black snake with great temperaments. Doing a Google search on the history of mussuranas will also provide you with some fascinating history on this species and attempts to breed them to release to eat venomous snakes. In fact, mussuranas are rear fanged venomous which adds to their wow factor for many, although they generally aren't considered harmful and I have never seen them stop constricting mice long enough to even suggest that the venom was of any effect. Both the indigos (because they are protected) and the mussuranas (because they are rear fanged) are not legal everywhere (I can't own an Eastern indigo here in Florida, but do legally own Texas indigos which aren't as nice. My mussuranas are legal here even without a Florida venomous permit.)

Blood pythons are great. For beauty, go with a red. For temperament, go with a black or Borneo.

Lastly, if you like snakes, but have never owned a boa constrictor, you really ought to consider it. There is a reason they have their own listing in the Classified section. They are the quintessential large, but not too large snake with generally a great temperament. Every reptile hobbyist should own at least one boa constrictor in their lifetime.

Have fun, there aren't many wrong answers.

Bryant King

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  what about a - joann42, Sat Jul 24 17:24:16 2010