return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: rat freezer went out

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: pitoon at Mon Aug 2 02:53:32 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pitoon ]  

rats can be thawed and refrozen (even with a hint of smell) with no issues or ill affects as many as two times before they need to be tossed.

the only main issue that could arise is from decomposing. the stomach lining starts to decay and the tissue around this area will become softer thus allowing the stomachs to burst... "sometimes".

if you can handle the smell if there is any, i wouldn't get rid of them and reuse them at least one more thawed time.....after that i would tossed them as they have been thawed out previously for a considerable amount of time.

Pitoon

>>Well, today I noticed the rat freezer was out. This is the second time in 12 months! The first time a power outage caused me to empty the freezer, now a breaker tripped a few days ago and I did not notice since the freezer is in the garage. Now for my question...can the snakes be fed the refrozen rats? The rats don't smell good but they don't smell anywhere near as bad as they did the first time it happened. Normally, I would toss them but I just made a purchase from rodent pro and only got one feeding in...this would be over 500 bucks down the drain again if I had to toss them.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>W. Smith
-----
Homepage
My BLOG
2010 European Shows

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  WHAT IS THIS? - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Sun Aug 1 17:51:24 2010
<< Previous topic:  Lemonblast clutch - R.Mikkelsen, Sun Aug 1 13:03:18 2010