return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: True Story of Sabogae Imported to US

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: vin russo at Tue Aug 10 11:59:01 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by vin russo ]  

Yes - all of the Saboga boas that Rich Ihle myself and Gus ( and a bunch more breeders here in the U.S. ) have are from Saboga Island in the Pearl Island Archipelago ( hence the name boa c. sabogae ). The Boas in Europe that are sold as Taboga boas are in my opinion Boa c. imperator. I say this because of two main reasons. First - Taboga is only a mile or so from Panama & therefore there is no genetic isolation from the mainland ( Boa c. imperator can swim to & from that island ). Secondly - the Taboga boas resemble & make both Hypo & Normal phase mainland looking boas( more evidence of imperator blood ). As for Saboga Island - that Island - is over 50 miles out in the Ocean & hence Genetic Isolation is the reason they are a recognised & valid sunspecies ( and yes - even CITES recignizes them as a valid Subspecies & the scientific community too ).
As far the Reptile park in Costa Rica ever shipping Saboga Boas again - that will most likely not happen simply because they acquired permits that one time ( back in 06 ) and Zoos acquire permits to get Zoo animals for themselves & rarely sell any surplus ( which they did in this one case )- so they have what they need now.
And lastly - thru Cites documentation (of these "Bushmaster" sabogae & Rich Ihles sabogae ) & verbally speaking to the Zoo - these boas came exactly from Saboga Island & entered the US under CITES as Boa c. sabogae.
Lastly - its my opinion that these saboga boas are truly unique from any other Central American Boa. A novice could tell the difference simply by looking at them. I myself have noticed multiple differences from the Saboga boas & mainland Hypo Panamanians in that the Saboga Boas have longer heads & the Panama boas have short heads ( the Saboga Boas were originally described as Epicrates because they had a longer head ). Secondly - Saboga boas breed like tree Boas ( complete wrap each other up ) & their Babies are born huge compared to the tiny Mainland panama Boas. These big saboga babies are probaly an evolutionary response to island life where large prey items are more common than smaller ones & therefore the larger young stand a better chance at survival. Third - saboga boas have small litters of Large Babies While Mainland Panama boas have Big litters of small babies.
And finally - I hope this info helps to settle any questions ( but I really cannot understand why there are any ).

Vin Russo

Saboga Boas

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: True Story of Sabogae Imported to US - Msoar16, Tue Aug 10 13:57:01 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: True Story of Sabogae Imported to US - Msoar16, Wed Aug 11 11:40:37 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: True Story of Sabogae Imported to US - Msoar16, Tue Aug 10 09:24:19 2010