return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: What is this? Opinions please

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: Rextiles at Sat Aug 14 22:50:35 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rextiles ]  

The lack of a reduced neck pattern would lead me to believe it's not a low key anaconda.

I'm not so sure that this is a really good marker in determining Anacondas. Have you seen Brent's site lately? In his available page he has a couple of "low key" Anacondas that have normal neck patterns.

I produced several anaconda sibs this year that had similar patterns and a couple even had all black bellies, but the neck patterns were not reduced and the black on the belly was wide with uneven edges.

I believe that the black belly is one indicator of an Anaconda marker but it is not a determining factor for the animal being an Anaconda as there are pure black belly hognose out there that are not Anacondas nor are they related genetically. Here is a picture of one of my 2008's with a 99.9% black belly whose father is a supposed "Lazik" double het and also has a black belly.

The condas have a narrow stripe with even edges.

Jon, are you referring to the outer part of the dorsal coloring?

Here's a couple of pictures comparing my Superconda to my normal Black Belly:

Normal Black Belly

Superconda Belly

I hope I'm right about mine. Otherwise a few people got really good deals on anacondas.

You know, that might be a real possibility! I think the "markers" for Anacondas have been over-simplified by reducing them down to just a few visual traits like reduced neck patterns, solid black narrow dorsals, white outer-dorsal coloration, highly reduced patterns and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. We're basing our opinions solely on what Brent has produced and sold the last couple of years but we have to remember, his Anacondas come from bloodlines within his collection, so we do not currently know what exactly might come from the Anaconda genes when they are mixed with outside sources. Let us consider the fact that Brent's 2008 Anacondas that he sold had pretty much the same overall look to them regardless that some were a bit more stunning than the others, that's just typical. But then look at some of the really wild stuff he started producing in 2009. Were those animals mixed with newer bloodlines or were they something more like F2 or F3 lines? Some of those Anacondas were really deviant from what we saw in 2008 with the vanishing patterns and some of those super light colored animals. Now we're in 2010 and we're seeing even more wild variations with all of the new bloodlines being introduced.

I think we're just scratching the surface with this morph and what it might produce when mixed with all of the variant bloodlines and morphs we currently have at our disposal to work with. I think it's going to get more interesting as the years progress.

-----
Troy Rexroth
Rextiles

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  My favorite so far - bbox, Sat Aug 14 15:51:20 2010
<< Previous topic:  Who says Friday the 13th is bad luck??? - Gregg_M_Madden, Fri Aug 13 15:59:55 2010