return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A couple of things to consider....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: -ryan- at Tue Oct 26 19:30:29 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by -ryan- ]  

I live in Rochester, so our winters are roughly the same. You will need a plan for when the power goes out in the winter, because such a small building will not stay warm for long in our winters, and you can't assume that you'll be home when the power goes out. This is actually something that you really need to think about with the animals in your house as well, but I think it is compounded by being in a small outbuilding.

Next, think about what happens in the entrance room of your house in the winter every time you open the door to enter or exit. The warm air rushes out and the cold air rushes in, and because of that you are always going to be dealing with draft problems in the winter. I also would bet you will have a little difficulty getting the temps dialed in in the summer as well. Remember, our climate is one of extremes.

This one is more of a personal one, but something I have thought about quite a bit. Do you think that the snakes will really benefit from being further away from you and your care? I keep my animals primarily for my own enjoyment (breeding is secondary), so I like having them around the house because I can enjoy observing them and be able to provide care whenever I am home. Just something to think about, because I would bet the animals will see you less when you put them in an outbuilding (especially in the winter).

good luck

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Snake house essentials - snakehunter101, Mon Oct 25 20:11:51 2010
<< Previous topic:  tracks for sliding glass doors, wherre? - paul kemes, Wed Oct 20 20:30:16 2010